Friday, December 4, 2009

Here Comes the Rain

The clock on my computer tells me it is 4:34 a.m. I went to bed early last night which means that I normally arise early. While writing another blog I heard the gentle tap on the windows in the living room of the mission house. At first I could not make out the source of that sound. In time the tapping increased in frequency. It was then I discerned that it was raining outside. This is a wonderful chorus for most living in West Texas.

Soon the rain fell more heavily causing me to cease typing and to listen. I don’t know why but I love to listen to it rain. I love sitting out on a back porch or inside the garage and watching storms roll through. I enjoy watching the rain give the dry and parched land a drink. I enjoy watching the flashes of lightening and hearing the peels of thunder while feeling the vibrations underneath my feet.

As so often happens just as quickly as it came the heavy down pour turned into a faint sprinkle. I still hear the pitter patter of a slight sprinkle on the cover over the back porch. I can hear the splatter as the water falls from the roof onto the concrete outside. There is a pretty big storm brewing. Weather forecasters are predicting frigid temperatures and possibly a wintry mix of precipitation over the next couple of days. This little shower is only the beginning.

It is early Sunday morning and a little bad weather can affect the crowds from time to time who are willing to brave elements to come to church. Some people see rain as an unwelcomed intruder messing up plans and causing us to have to alter our schedules. There are those on the other hand who see rain as a blessing from God and welcome it with open arms as the land is replenished being prepared for next year’s harvest.

There are people who go through life and see their glass as half empty. They are negative, never satisfied, and often make everyone around them miserable. There are also those who are look on the brighter side of things, they find the good in any situation, and they have the proper attitude. These people are a joy to be around. They are like sunshine on a cloudy day helping to drive away the dark clouds of despondency.

My question is what type of person are you? The rain is coming, or I should say has come and continues to fall. It might get a little slick later on tonight and over the next couple of days. We might not see a peek at the sun over the next thirty six to forty eight hours. Will you approach these days with joy and gladness as you walk with the Lord or will you whine and complain?

There is a little verse in the book of Philippians that has a little bite to it. I am thinking of Phil 4:4 “Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice.” The words rejoice can also mean be glad or find joy. Now every situation in life does not produce feelings of joy or gladness. In my calling I come across those who are suffering emotionally or physically continually. There are many times I walk out of a hospital or away from conversations with people very discouraged. There are times when I wonder if what I do makes any difference at all. The tide of evil seems to be swelling like a Tsunami about ready to come ashore with devastation in the aftermath. When I open the Bible I find both encouragement and inspiration to keep hope alive.

Paul dealt with more in his lifetime than most. He was persecuted without mercy. He spent the last days of his life imprisoned for his faith and was eventually martyred. While in prison he actually penned those words in Phil 4:4. I don’t want you coming away from reading this thinking this is another motivational reading about working on your attitude. That can be helpful but what I am thinking about here goes far deeper than some mental gymnastics about taking your lemons and turning them into lemonade.

Paul had something much deeper at the soul level that could cause him to rejoice whether being beaten, preaching to the masses and seeing dozens converted, or being stuck under house arrest. Paul could rejoice because no matter what happened or did not happen to him – he had a relationship with Jesus that was the source of real joy and gladness.

I have not known many people who really had true joy but of those I have known everyone of them prized their relationship with Jesus more than life itself. Circumstances will always try our faith. There will be sunny days and there will be rainy days and Jesus is Lord over both. Regardless of what is happening to me or around me I know God is in control. If I am being pelted on the head by rain drops and being drenched to the bone or whether I am being scorched by the sun, God is the source of my rejoicing not the rain or the sun.

When God is treasured and valued above all, He will be our reason for rejoicing. Today the rain is coming but what I must ask myself and you ask yourself is if you are going to rejoice in the Lord today. You might not be able to rejoice in your present circumstances but you can rejoice in the Lord. He is constant. Let the rain come. Bring on the bone chilling north winds. Come what may we must rejoice in the Lord. He alone satisfies. [Ps 16:11]

No comments:

Post a Comment