Monday, December 7, 2009

Let It Snow

This has been a pretty amazing week. I awoke early on Tuesday morning and went to the Fitness Center and discovered snow on the ground. When I came out of the Fitness Center it was snowing even harder. Our boys were giddy playing in it before school. I herded them outside and snapped a few pictures of them in it.

Today the temperature has hovered around freezing all day. It has been bitterly cold for the better part of the week. The north winds cut through the skin like a knife through warm butter. Tonight Brenda and I went to the High School Band Christmas concert and walking into the auditorium it was snowing again. There we were listening to Christmas music in the month of December and it was snowing outside. That is the first time I have experienced anything like that.

Growing up in East Texas I can only remember two times it really snowed in my eighteen years there. We had a few ice storms but seldom ever saw it snow. Looking around over the past couple of days and seeing the ground covered with a blanket of snow is a beautiful sight. Each day the snow has melted but it was beautiful while it lasted.

I looked up into the dark night from the parking lot pierced with the illumination of a street light and like dust floating in the breeze I watched tiny snow flakes dancing in the wind and falling gracefully to the ground. My wool overcoat was pelted with these flakes. It puts me in the Christmas spirit.

Once the snow has covered the ground it is pristine before tire tracks begin to muddy everything up. My heart is capable of sin. Always has been and always will be. Like the old hymn says, “Prone to wander Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love.” All of us struggle with the sin nature. All of us from time to time leave the God we love and choose sin over Him. We leave a trail of heartache, sorrow, and a heart soiled with the filth and stench of our rebellion. The tire tracks of sin mess my God’s desire for holiness in our lives.

We desperately need the snow of God’s grace to fall on our hearts to forgive and cover our sin. Only the grace of Jesus can cover the dark stains of our wayward thoughts and actions. I need God’s grace to fall like snow on my heart not just once or twice a year when a cold snap comes through. I need it continually like you do.

My kids are exited about the snow. They have been praying that it would fall even heavier. In a whole other connotation I am asking the Lord to let it snow as well. “Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow, though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool.” [Is 1:18]

Dear Lord, we are blood red guilty with our sin. We cannot hide it from you. I ask you to let grace fall like snow on our hearts and turn them white like snow. We do not deserve such forgiveness but we need it. I trust you for this in Jesus name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment