Thursday, April 23, 2009

My Chains Are Gone


Unfortunately I know what it is to be imprisoned. Those lonely dark days where you contemplate your guilt and live with remorse are days I am not proud of. I was found guilty and sentenced. If you have never lived in chains count yourself blessed.
For many years I got away with my “secret” life. Nobody knew that the shy quiet kid on the outside was enslaved to sin on the inside. Though from most people’s perspective I might have appeared to be a normal student and teenager the truth was I was chained to my sin and it plagued me night and day. No matter how I decided that I would turn over a new leaf, start fresh, and never meander back to the murky waters of bad choices, rebellious acts, and defiant attitudes, I always did.
I felt chained to my sin. I could not shake myself free from it no matter how hard I tried. Sin is a relentless opponent. Satan is both deceptive and crafty. He makes sin look appealing and desirable. [Gen 3:1-6] This is what happened to Eve and then Adam and sin entered the world and everyone has struggled with it ever since. The list of sins in this world is both long and unnecessary to record. We all know and have seen sin not only in our own lives but in others as well.
Living shackled to sin is a miserable existence. It is a hard road. Satan assures us that we will be more fulfilled after indulging in defiant acts against God. The truth is that sin kills us. We are promised to be satisfied when savoring our sin but Satan’s promises are like being paid with counterfeit money. The reward is without value and hollow. Sin never satisfies permanently. It might be enjoyable for a season but sooner or later we find ourselves imprisoned and like a person incarcerated in the dungeon of our own soul. The same enemy who encourages us to rebel against God is also the first one to cast blame and remind us of our failures producing condemnation and shame. Satan is a two faced liar and back stabber!
How many of you reading this can relate to what I am saying. You feel imprisoned and sin is like a ball and chain shackled to your heart and you cannot get free from it no matter how hard you try? How many of you are drowning in the tears of your remorse and guilt for a lifetime of bad choices?
My chains were broken by a valiant champion. Jesus Christ defeated sin and Satan on the cross and makes that freedom available to all who will ask Him for it. It is only available if you ask Him for it. Read what Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever. If therefore the Son shall make you free you shall be free indeed.” [Jn 8:34-36] How we long for freedom.
Jesus alone holds the key to open your imprisoned soul and set you free. He did that for me as a teenager on a balmy October night when I was introduced to Him as my Savior. He does it even now when the serpent of sin raises his venomous head to strike at my heart to poison my soul but Jesus gives me the victory. [I Cor 15:57] And if and when I do blow it, Jesus is there to pardon, bandage my wounds, and remove the stains. [I Jn 1:9] He does more than just forgive; He also offers deliverance from future temptations and empowers us to walk in holiness. [Gal 5:16] [I Cor 10:13]
I will never forget the day Jesus unshackled my heart. To live in freedom and to know His forgiveness is an experience beyond my ability to describe. Song writer and worship leader Chris Tomlin says it better than me. “My chains are gone, I’ve been set free.” That’s what Jesus offers. I will never forget the day my chains clanked to the floor and soul was released, cleansed, and brought to new life. Those chains are gone and now I get to live in spiritual freedom. I also get to tell other people in private prisons of the soul that Jesus is the key set you free as well. May chains fall off every heart in Paradise and souls be set free.

No comments:

Post a Comment