Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Attitude


I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning if you know what I mean. I cannot really say why. Nothing unusual happened. The longer the morning drug on the more withdrawn I wanted to be from everyone and the more my attitude began to sour. I started dwelling on minor irritations, problems, frustrations, a mountain of work to do, and the more I dwelled on these things the more my attitude went south. It has been like that most of the morning and I have locked myself in my office trying to isolate myself from people so my wrong attitude did not affect anyone else.
Reading scripture and prayer did not turn my attitude around. As I was researching some material for an upcoming message I stumbled across a chapter about attitude. It dawned on me while reading that I alone am responsible for my attitude. It is not up to Brenda, my boys, my friends, or people in the community to help me have a right attitude. That is my responsibility alone. Each day I have the gift of life and the choice of my attitude to approach life. This morning my honest confession is my whole approach was wrong.
In the chapter I read a prayer that I found amusing because I have been there before. “Dear Lord, So far today, I am doing all right. I have not gossiped, lost my temper, been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish, or self indulgent. I have not whined, cursed, or eaten any chocolate. However, I am going to get out bed in a few minutes, and I will need a lot more help after that. Amen.”
There a multitude of things that can have both a positive and a negative impact on our attitudes. It is still up to us to choose how we will respond to life. I have to admit that this morning I allowed my mind to dwell on some things I should not have. I began entertaining problems I am facing and instead of glancing at those problems but turning my gaze to the Lord I gazed at my problems and felt not only my attitude but energy begin to sink. This is all so ironic being that I preached on being “glad” in God recently and that regardless of our circumstances we can still have a positive attitude. Practice what you preach Matt!
It would be better if we could go through life and push the “easy button” like on the commercials but the truth is that every hour of every day we have to guard our attitudes. You must watch your attitude when you are in line at Walmart, while driving your car down a crowded freeway and you get cut off, when someone swoops in front of you taking the parking place you have been patiently waiting for, when the wait staff get the food order wrong, when our children or spouse disappoint us, and when there is conflict in the work place. All of these things can affect our attitude. That is not to mention things like not being able to sleep, not feeling well due to chronic pain, and trying to cope with stress. Any one or any combination of those things can make our hearts and our attitudes plummet.
But on the other hand a smile, a letter or email of encouragement, a pat on the back, and a thank you can brighten our day. A simple comment about a job well done can be the wind beneath our wings for a long time.
Here is the good news. When God is our partner in life we can have a good attitude. The Apostle Paul put it like this in [Phil 4:4] “Rejoice in the Lord always and I can I will say rejoice.” We can’t always choose what happens to us in this life but the one thing we have the power to do is to choose how we will respond. Paul wrote that comment while in prison for telling people about Jesus Christ. His attitude could have soured but is exhorting us to rejoice and be glad. I can choose to find something to rejoice in. When mother Theresa was asked what character traits she looked for in the people who came to work with her she looked for people who worked hard and had a joyful attitude. If her fellow nuns could have a joyful attitude amidst poverty, suffering, and constant death what is our excuse? If Paul could still rejoice and have a right attitude in prison it makes my insignificant troubles look foolish and my bad attitude embarrassing.
There is an evangelist named David Ring who lives with Cerebral Palsy. He often says during messages “Don’t whine but shine.” He will go on to recount all the things that he is not supposed to be able to do and how he could feel sorry for himself but he does not. He will end many messages by saying, “My name is David Ring and I have Cerebral Palsy but I shine. What is your excuse?”
You know what? Reading that book earlier and writing this article now (along with some Taco Casa) I can actually feel a change. Earlier everything looked dark and things appeared harder than normal. Though the skies are cloudy outside everything in my office appears brighter, my heart feels more alive, and my outlook on things has a more positive perspective. It is amazing what just a change in attitude can do for us.
Why not start with one little exercise today? Eliminate the following words or phrases from your vocabulary. I can’t! I don’t believe. It is impossible. There is no way. If only. Let our minds dwell on good, wholesome, and positive things. [Phil 4:8] Paul also wrote, “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.” [Phil 4:13] That means that we can maintain a positive attitude. With God’s help and our steadfast focus we can live our lives with positive attitudes. Eliminate the defeated and negative thinking and let Jesus Christ give you a hope and peace that surpasses all understanding. [Phil 4:6-7] What a better world it would be if we all had good attitudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment