Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Walking with God


[Gen 6:9] “These are the records of Noah, Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his time; Noah walked with God.”


Have you ever given any consideration to the time you are living in? These are volatile times as proven by the sudden crash in the stock markets, the financial collapse of major financial institutions, not to mention the war on terrorism and the upcoming presidential elections. Noah lived in volatile times as well. In fact the Bible tells us that God saw that the wickedness of man kind was great and his thoughts and intentions were evil. [Gen 6:5] It was a dark and twisted time to be alive.
In the middle of evil minded men and women, Noah lived a life of distinction. He lived a life that was set apart from the rest of his culture. In fact, you could say that Noah lived counter cultural. He swam against the morale current of his time and bucked the political correctness of his era with his firm stand for what was right.
How could it be that when the rest of the culture was offending God that Noah is said to have found favor with God? [Gen 6:8] When the rest of society was rebelling against God and His laws, Noah was renowned for being righteous and blameless. Now, you know as well as I do that being found righteous and blameless does not mean that Noah was perfect. He had bad days like the rest of us. There were days when his attitude was bad. He sinned and needed forgiveness from time to time. There most assuredly were days when Noah did not get it right but still the course of his life was so different he was called blameless. He was blameless because he lived in a right relationship with God. He was righteous not because he was perfect but because he walked with God and knew the blessing of forgiveness.
How could Noah have had the morale courage to go against the tide of what was morally and religiously acceptable by the majority? I think a big portion of this mystery can be solved in the last phrase of [Gen 6:9] “Noah walked with God.” What does that mean?
After church this past Sunday night, I left my truck parked so my family could all ride together to go and eat afterwards. It was late after we finished eating with some people from the church so I decided to leave my truck and planned that Brenda could drop me off at the office the next morning.
You know how Monday mornings goes. In a mad dash not to be late she was off to get the kids to school and to grocery shop and I was not ready. I decided I could walk to the office. The weather was gorgeous, not a cloud in the sky, fall like temperatures in the upper fifties, and a slight wind out of the North. It is about a ten minute walk from my front door to my office. I set out on a casual stroll and began conversing with God about the day, for specific people I am burdened for, and about some personal things. While on foot, I could not get the message about walking with God off my mind.
That is what set Noah apart. He walked with God. What do I mean? Noah was engaged in a personal relationship with the Almighty Himself. He spent time conversing with God, discussing issues of life, strolling along with the Sovereign Creator of this universe. Noah’s relationship with God was just as real to him as his relationship with his wife or his boys. Noah walked through the days of life in friendship with the Lord. It was during these walks that he found the courage to be different and live a life of distinction. It was during these tranquil travels with the Lord that Noah not only found friendship with God but also favor with Him. Those walks praying to the Lord and pondering the wickedness of his times helped Noah find conviction, courage, and strength to stand for truth.
I walked with God this past Monday morning. As I took each step of that ten minute journey, God walked with me. I did not see Him nor could you if you had driven by; but I felt Him. I sensed His presence as I unloaded my burdens on His massive shoulders. I felt His love as we communed on that walk.
How different our lives would be if we learned how to walk with God like Noah did. Day in and day out we need to talk to Him about what troubles us and find strength by reading the scriptures. This helps us keep things in perspective. From our perspective down here things look pretty bad. The economy seems to be collapsing. Gas prices continue to rise along with utilities, groceries, and retail items. Companies continue to down size. Politicians make promises they cannot deliver and we wonder who is telling the truth and can be trusted with our futures. We live in times when the moral fiber our society seems to be unraveling at the seems and things that have always been wrong are being propagated as right while what we have long held as right are now being told they are relatively right for us but not for everyone else. Right today seems to be a matter of personal preference more than absolute truth. In these chaotic and confusing times, we need more Noahs (from students to senior adults) who will walk with God and find their moral compass in a relationship with Him.
For me, that means early morning times in the scriptures and prayer. That also means I have to carve out moments of solitude and silence so God and I can enjoy one another. When I walk with God by reading the Bible I have great peace. [Ps 119:165] When I pray casting my cares on Him I no longer feel weighed down by the troubles and anxieties of this world.
I urge you with all that is within me if you are feeling apprehensive about life to start walking with God. It would be my privilege to introduce you to my constant companion, my faithful friend, and my good God. His name is Jesus and He is ready and willing to forgive, to deliver, to save, and to start a life long walk with you. Do you know Him today? You can never enjoy walking in relationship with Him until you are first introduced to Him. It would be my joy to introduce you to my best friend Jesus so you could start walking with Him too.

No comments:

Post a Comment