Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Great Debate II

I ran into my friend again today and our debate continued. We civilly discussed a wide range of topics from politics, to social issues, to the rights and roles of women and men. Before our debate ended, there were several others drawn into the conversation. At one point, six people were weighing in their opinions on monotheism, abortion, hypocrisy, and the presidential elections along with the validity of the Bible being the word of God. I will say the debate was passionate but there was also good natured ribbing one another. While some were ducking for cover I was relishing every moment of this mental battle. The exchanging of ideas and beliefs was again much like a sword fight with tactical maneuvers and carefully crafted answers to difficult questions.
The bottom line is that I want to be a defender of truth and I want to see my friend’s eyes opened to truth. Not just truth as I see it but truth in general. My heart aches to see this friend along with others who joined in our conversation today, meet the Savior. Once again our conversation turned to how some people who claim to be Christians live in hypocrisy. That is a point I could not deny or defend because it is true.
It reminds me of a conversation I had with an African American preacher many years ago about the subject of outreach. He was involved in what he called street ministry. He walked along the streets and talked to the down and out. Often he heard similar stories about men and women who were prostitutes, crack addicts, and alcoholics. These people were interested in Jesus but turned off by the church because of the lifestyles of people in the church. With tears in his eyes he told me people can’t get to Jesus because of people in the church. That has stuck with all of these years. I wonder if my friend and others who joined our debate are really attracted to Jesus but see it all as myth because of the lifestyles of many of His followers.
How do I love my friend with no strings attached, seek to defend and live the truth, while not judging their opinions and beliefs, nor condemning those people who live hypocritical lifestyles who sit in pews not only in this community but all over this world. How do I lovingly persuade the existence of a God and a Savior my friend denies really exists? How do I spend my life preaching, teaching, and defending the truth of the scriptures both in the public arena and in the quiet corners of the world like the one our second debate took place in?
One thing is for sure. Many Christians and far too many preachers have acted arrogantly, obnoxiously, and too piously to do a lot of good for the very people who need to know the love and the grace of our Savior. My heart aches for those living in spiritual confusion and darkness day in and day out. My heart is weighed down with a heavy burden simply because I care about the one I have carried these debates on with. It is not a matter of being right or wrong. I know what hangs in the balance and this is a sobering truth for me. Eternity hangs in the balance. Heaven and Hell hang in the balance. [Rev 20:11-15] The full and abundant life hangs in the balance. [Jn 10:10] To ignore this somber truth is to in essence sentence my friend to damnation. Please do not get me wrong here. I am not saying that I have any power to persuade or convince my friend to be saved. That is only something that God can do. I am saying that I might be one of the many tools God uses to accomplish that purpose. To keep my mouth shut and not point my friend to the Savior would be evidence that I was not much of a friend. Friends point other friends to the things in life that can be of benefit to them. We are past recommending movies, books, doctors, restaurants. I am recommending my Savior Jesus Christ.
I know there is nothing that I will be able to say or no thought I can reason that will convince my friend of the truth. That is only something God can do. Only God can convince someone that He exists. Only God can convict someone of sin and of the need to be saved. Only God can draw people into a relationship with Him. I can love, I can pray, and I can continue to speak the truth of God’s word which is everlasting truth. [Ps 119:160] God has to do the rest and He does and I believe will. Over time I know that love, prayer, and truth are like a wrecking ball that will weaken the resistance and draw people to Jesus.
If people could only see the truth of who Jesus is, the depth of His love, the breadth of His grace, and height of His compassion; they would come to Him. I know Satan is a formidable foe. There is a war being waged over the soul of my friend and over the souls of millions around this world. Satan blinds the minds of unbelievers. “And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.” [II Cor 4:4] My mission is to proclaim the hope of the gospel message even though it may appear foolishness to some [I Cor 1:23] it is still the power of God unto salvation to all who believe. [I Cor 1:18, 24] My mission is like the mission Paul had in [Acts 26:18]. My mission is to, “ to open their eyes so that may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.”
I know our debate will continue. We are both hard headed. We both are independent mavericks who do not buy into party lines of thinking just to go along with the crowds. We understand the value of thinking for ourselves and questioning the issues. We are both on quests for truth even though our journeys are going in different directions. The issues will continue to generate passionate conversations. Our debates may draw attention as they did today? We will agree to disagree multiple times over but I will not judge, condemn, or write off my friend. I must be in this for the long haul and seek to educate myself on a broader scale so I can talk intelligently on a wide range of topics and seeking every moment to turn those conversations to the greatest reality in the universe and that is Jesus Christ. He is not only my hope but also the hope for this world. He is also my friend and I cannot wait until the day I get to introduce my debater friend to my best friend Jesus. What a glorious day that will be. Until then, the debate goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment