Monday, September 22, 2008

Teachable Moments

This past Friday night we gave the boys the choice of going to the out of town varsity football game or staying home for a family movie night, which we have not done in months. The boys chose to stay at home. While Brenda was preparing supper the boys and I went to the high school practice football field to throw the ball around and play a little game amongst ourselves.
When we drove up to the field I immediately noticed dozens of birds spread over the field eating whatever they could find. I instantly thought of [Matt 6:25-34]. In these verses Jesus talks about the flowers in the field and how He clothes them and how He provides for the birds of the air though they do not sow or gather in barns. We are infinitely more valuable to our God than flowers or birds.
I parked my truck and gathered Taylor -13, Tanner - 10, Tucker – 9, and Turner – 5 around me to teach them those truths. I did not preach a sermon but rather related Jesus’ words and asked the boys to look at the birds feeding on the practice field while considering the fact they had not done one thing to earn such provision. They did not sow nor do they labor to store up food for the future, yet God meets their daily needs. In the same way God provides for us and we are of much more value to Him than the birds. Therefore, we are not to worry about things but live in the simple trust that the same God who provides for the birds and clothes the lilies of the field will not neglect to meet our needs either.
It was just one of many such teachable moments I have had with the boys over the years. Tiny windows of opportunities in real life often open and give parents the chance to reinforce the scriptures they study in the home and at church. These life lessons can come at any moment and as a parent we must be ready to take advantage of them.
This past Thursday Taylor was playing his second seventh grade football game. It was a tough game but he played very well. I have challenged him along with his brothers to make playing every sport about Christ. I cannot tell you how excited I was to see him leading his teammates in prayer before the start of the game. Taylor understands that he is not playing to glorify his name but for the glory of God. This was another teachable moment he and I had together this summer during some of our workouts.
I urge you parents to look for teachable moments with your children. They might come while watching a movie, driving down the road, or some situation that arises at school. Tanner has had to deal with this issue at school. There has been a certain boy who has repeatedly kicked Tanner at recess, walking down the hall ways, and in the class room. My first reaction was not God honoring. I talked with his principal and simply stated that if this kid was not reigned in I would be forced to have Tanner take matters into his own hands. This has taken place over the matter of several months. Tanner is bigger and stronger than this troubled kid and I know if released could more than handle his own. A few days later I was convicted that Jesus would love this troubled youngster and therefore I encouraged Tanner to pray for him instead of retaliate. That was last year and it worked by the end of school. I thought of the scriptures in [Matt 5:43-44]. “You have heard it said, ‘You shall love your neighbors and hate your enemy. But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.” [Matt 5:39] “But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.” When school started this fall, this kid started doing the same thing when Tanner stood up to defend a girl who was being picked on.
I have to be honest. My flesh wants to do the opposite. It is right at this moment that I have the opportunity to teach Tanner what I really believe about the scriptures and Jesus in real life situations. This was and still is another teachable moment. One thing is for sure. My Heavenly Father is still teaching me through such moments. May we as parents be both the teachers and teachable at the same time. In so doing, it is my hope that each of us will be able to pass on the legacy and heritage of our faith to our children and grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment