Thursday, August 21, 2008

God's Majesty and the Mountains


8-21-08 – Bonita Park Camp, New Mexico - [Is 6:3] Sitting at this beautiful camp surrounded by mountains on every side as I preach this last youth camp of the summer has been inspiring. Camp Bonita is located in a valley next to the Bonita Rios Creek with large tree laden mountains hedging us in.
Towering, full, and ever green Pine Trees blanket the sloping hills. I have seen well over a dozen white tail deer on these mountains. At one point Taylor and I were less than thirty feet from a doe who sauntered down from the high country to a dry creek bed located behind our hotel room. It was a thrill to see Taylor’s eyes light up with excitement at getting that close to a deer in the wild.
I know many people prefer the water to bring life to their souls on the lake or ocean. I cannot tell you why but I am a mountain man. I have preached in both New Mexico and Colorado several times and the mountains do something for me that no other place on the earth can do. They inspire me to think deep thoughts about the majesty of God. I can sit for hours just gazing at the mountains and am moved deeply just being near them. Just as the mountain peaks appear to go on endlessly, God’s majesty actually has no end. Climbing the mountain of God will bring a lifetime of enjoyment and then an eternal life of fresh discoveries.
As I sit outside in the comfortable outdoors to write this, I feel clothed in the majesty of God. It is all around me, all over me, and all inside of me. It thrills my soul to think that for all of eternity there will be endless delightful revelation on top of revelation of His majesty to thrill, inspire, and for my increased joy.
This morning the clouds covered the mountain peaks hiding the summit from the naked eye. In the same way my sin hides God’s majesty from my hungry and thirsty soul. Yet, basking in God’s presence and being stunned by His majesty is the need of my heart.
Taylor and I were walking and talking about how great God is this morning when he thought of a verse that summed the whole experience up for the both of us. [Is 6:3] The whole earth is full of the glory of God. You can almost hear the mammoth hills shouting glory to God. Being here is breathing life back into my weary soul.
The mountains are breathtaking to behold outlined with grayish white clouds. There is an ever so slight chill in the air hinting of the coming fall and colder temperatures. I can only imagine what this place looks like under a fresh blanket of snow. As I write this I am sitting out on a deck and enjoying this gorgeous God glorifying view. By His spoken word this all came into existence. He purposed then that there would be a Christian camp here and that hundreds and thousands of people would make a spiritual pilgrimage to this place to meet with Him and to be stunned by His majesty. God knew when He created this scenic place that I would sit here today with pen in my hand trying to capture all of this onto paper as I reflect on God’s glorious majesty.
I am reminded right now that His majesty is not less magnificent back in Paradise, TX. Regardless of where we find ourselves geographically His majesty is still mystifying. We just do not take much time to reflect on it. No matter where you are as you read this I challenge you to take a moment and step outdoors and listen to creation shouting glory to God and declaring God’s majestic splendor. It will prove to be refreshing to your soul and reviving in your service for Him.
Father, thank you for these mountains and the beauty that surrounds me. I thank you even more for your majesty that outshines the sun and looms larger than any mountains and surrounds me every moment of my life no matter where I am. Please never let me take either your majesty or the mountains for granted. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment