Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Gut-wrenching

gut-wrenchingadjective informal extremely unpleasant or upsetting: the film is a gut-wrenching portrait of domestic violence.
Life is gut-wrenching. People endure extremely unpleasant circumstances physically, emotionally, and spiritually. At times the pain seems unbearable. Whether you are enduring the pain or love those in pain the tears can flow frequently. The emotions are raw. Faith is fragile. 
I have seen my share of people devastated by life. I think of a lady in so much excruciating physical pain I could hear her cries walking down the corridor before I ever reached her Emergency Room door. I think of numerous people I've listened to in counseling pour out their herts.the pain came flooding out in sobs. I have been present with families in tragedies and surgeries. I have heard the honest confessions of those deceived by the devil into a life of sin. I have stood in funeral homes and at funeral services as people grieved and said goodbye to their loved ones. I have watched people crumble as long held dreams shattered and they did not know what to do next. 
ife is gut-wrenching. There are so many times when there are no words. No words of comfort. No words of exhortation. No words to take away the pain and lighten the load. At least no words from man. God has words of comfort, exhortation, and healing. They are found in the Bible. To be even more specific so many of them are found in the Psalms. 
You find pain, confusion, anger, woundedness, conviction and repentance all in the Psalms. I find when ministering to people in pain I often quote and pray Psalms. 
Here are just a few of my favorites. 
Psalm 18:19 (ESV) 

19  He brought me out into a broad place; he rescued me, because he delighted in me.

Psalm 23:1-6 (ESV)
1

 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2  He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.
3  He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.




Psalm 27:13-14 (ESV)
13  I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living!
14  Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD!

Psalm 34:18-19 (ESV)
18  The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
19  Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all.


Psalm 46:1-2 (ESV)
1
 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.2  Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,


Psalm 55:22 (ESV)
22  Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved. 

These are just a few. They are medicine for the wounded. They are balm for those in pain. They are a lifeline for those without hope. And these are just a sampling of the Psalms. There is so much more. While writing this today I particularly drawn to Psalm 3:3. I had not read that verse in a long time. 
Psalm 3:3 (ESV) 

 But you, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. 
God is our shield. That means He is our defender and protector. He does this when we do not even know to look out to defend ourselves from bacteria, car accidents, shady characters lurking in the shadows are when alone in the night watches. Many may want to argue this point. they will cite examples of how God did not protect from cancer, harm on the battlefront, or from the fatal car accident. For the child of God He is our still our defender when the devil comes making accusations and building hIs case for our final judgment. At that time we hide behind the mercy and grace of God in Jesus. He will never be more our shield than in that day. 
He is also our glory. That means He is our weight. Or to put it another way He is our worth. Th worth of something used to be determined by how much it weighted on a scale. The more weight the more worth. Our identity and self worth is found in Him and His love for us. We glory in Him. He is our honor. He is our praise. It is not about us, our performance, or our outward beauty. Our glory in fond in a relationship with Him. He is the source of our worth. If He loves us then we have intrinsic value in His eyes. He is also the lifter of our head. He brings them up when we are low. He holds them up when we are in pain, shame, remorse, discouraged, and weary. He gently puts His finger under our chin and raises our head to look full into His wonderful face. There we find strength, peace, comfort, hope, forgiveness, and restoration. 
All of that from one little verse in Psalms. I can't always protect people from pain including my family. I can't always pray in the miracle. I can always point people in the gut-wrenching trials of life to God's word and His help. It is all this backwoods preacher knows to do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment