Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving XLVIX

Today marks my 49th Thanksgiving. Many in my family are now gone. My mother, grandfather, grandmother, sister, and great uncle along with others are all dead and gone. No longer do I go to the giant family Thanksgivings I enjoyed as a boy. Today it is just my immediate family. The four boys, Brenda and I are about to sit down to our feast. It is good to have Taylor home from college and bitter sweet to know Tanner will graduate high school in just a few months.

Much has changed over the years. All my boyhood dreams have died except the lingering dream to write. I am older now. I sit in my home while it rains outside and think about all those Thanksgivings of yesteryear. We enjoyed turkey, ham, dressing, potato salad, dumplings, coconut cake and various pies. The children all played when we were young and as we grew into our teens and young adult years we sat around talking or watching football and John Wayne movies. Great memories.

I was so proud to take Brenda to one of those Thanksgivings. My family loved her as I knew they would. She has that special quality where everyone loves her. She cares. She serves. She listens. She prays. Today I am thankful I get to share my life with her and have done so for the past 23 years.

I am not sure how many more Thanksgivings we will get to enjoy like this. I suspect one day in the not too distant future each of the boys will bring some young lady home they have fallen in love with. One day each of them will get married and then we will have to share them with the bride's family. That will be sad a day. Today I will enjoy this day. I will enjoy having the Edwards seated around our table each in their reserved spot. I am thankful for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment