Thursday, November 5, 2015

A Timely Word

I almost talked myself out of going. I have not been to a conference in close to ten years. A friend mentioned a conference close by with one of my favorite authors as one of the speakers. I took the bait and registered. Only days before the conference started I began talking myself out of going. In the end I went. I am so glad I did.

Sitting in the lobby of the church I read while waiting for the worship center doors to open for the conference to begin. Before arriving at the conference I prayed in my truck, "Lord, I want to hear from You. I want a fresh word from You. Do You have something for me here. You know my condition and I need to hear from You." 

God answered that prayer while I read in the lobby. Two paragraphs shot through my soul. It seemed those paragraphs were written directly for me for that day and season of life. I took out a pen and underlined every word. I reread the paragraphs more assured God directed that message to me that day.

In the first moments of the first speaker I knew God wanted me at the conference. I wrote furiously taking notes on what he preached. God again had a timely word for me. After several pages of notes my head swam with all my thoughts.

I barely had time to take it all in before the next speaker spoke another timely word challenging me in the depths of my soul. God spoke so much I could barely take it all in. Again I wrote furiously taking notes so I could go back and recall all the truth later.

Later that night I had dinner with a friend and we talked about the conference and church stuff. The late night drive back home afforded ample time for reflection.

Have you ever received a timely word from the Lord? Maybe it came through a devotion or perhaps a song on the radio. God often gives timely words through pastor's sermons or while reading a book. Those moments are crucial. What we do after God speaks is vitally important. We have to choose to act on those timely words in faith. That is the choice I made yesterday.

I pray from time to time God might use this blog to be His timely word for somebody just as He used that author yesterday and those timely two paragraphs.

Lord, I thank You for still speaking. I thank You for speaking through many different ways. I thank You that today You know where all Your children are and what they need to hear. You are more than able to speak a timely word to each of them. On this day I ask You to speak clearly to those who need it most. A word of comfort to the troubled. A clear word of direction for the confused. A word of rebuke for the sinner. A word of hope for the hopeless. In Jesus name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment