Monday, October 3, 2011

The Blessing of Fatherhood

Out of the many blessings in my life I count being a father toward the top. I have countless memories built into life with Jennifer, Taylor, Tanner, Tucker, and Turner. Each of them has brought more joy into my life than I can possibly put into words.

I woke up this morning with Turner nestled up next to me trying to keep warm in the RV. He has been staying there with me for the past few weeks. Walking down the hall this morning Taylor (who is now officially taller than his daddy) stopped to give me a hug. How many sixteen-year old sons initiate giving their dads a hug? I relished the moment. Earlier I drove Tanner to his early morning football practice. Our parting words said ritually before he closes the door is, “I love you dad.” “I love you too champ.” Tucker is not a hugger (takes after his daddy) but I did manage to wrap my arms around last night to tell him I am proud to be his daddy.

I do not understand fathers who do not take the time to invest in their children. Spending time with my children is not drudgery but a delight. Taylor commented after we saw the new movie Courageous he was glad he saw that movie with his family. I second that sentiment. I loved sharing that experience with the four T’s as Brenda calls them.

I know all too well my children are growing up. Jennifer has been married for some time and is expecting her second child. Taylor is already sixteen and nearing getting a driver’s license. Tanner is in eighth grade and growing taller nearly looking me straight in the eye. Tucker is already in Jr. High and this is Turner’s last year at the elementary school.

I only have the boys for a short time and I am not about to waste those precious years. Fatherhood is a blessing. God has entrusted me to mold and shape those young and impressionable minds. It is not easy. They are bombarded by continual messages from people and organizations with an agenda. I also have an agenda and that is to point my boys to Jesus to live for Him, fight for Him, and to love Him for all of their days even if it means they stand alone.

It does not matter how large the church is I pastor. That does not determine my success. My success in life will be determined by my boys and Jennifer following Jesus and teaching their children and my grandchildren to follow Jesus.

That means while I have them I must guard their hearts and minds from destructive influences. I must pour the word of God into them. I must have continual conversations about things that really matter; dreams, peer pressure, persecution, surrendering to Jesus, enduring difficulties, eternity, quiet times, sex, alcohol and death. I want to be used of God to be a positive force for good in their lives. I am more interested in being their father than their friend at this stage. That means from time to time my decisions will not be popular. I pray those decisions will be guided by scripture.

I cannot imagine my life without my kids. Sure I have to make a few sacrifices in time, money, and priorities but the rewards are worth it. It is worth taking lunch to Turner and the rest when they ask. It is worth sharing my seat when one wants to sit in my lap. It is worth eating where they want to eat even if it is not my favorite. It is worth chasing them playing ball all over the place. It is worth it because of all the titles I wear in this world none means more to me than “Father.” Fatherhood is a blessing. My quiver is full. “Behold children are a gift of the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; they will not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gate.” [Ps 127:3-5]

No comments:

Post a Comment