Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Abundance of Rain

As I write this it is 2:20 a.m. I was awakened by thunderstorms rumbling through dropping heavy rains. I love the sound of rain on the top of the RV. It makes for sound sleeping only this time the rain came with a great deal of lightening and thunder. At times I think the rain is letting up only to have it increase in intensity. The sound is deafening at times and rhythmic at other times. I am at peace.

In the past week we have been blessed with about six inches of rain. The radar shows this rain will last until at least the start of school, which means rain for about another five and a half to six hours.

God is amazing. For over a year we experienced severe drought conditions. In just five days God has put a major dent in our deficient rainfall. As I have driven around in the past few days it has been amazing to see how ponds have begun to fill back up and how the dead grass in many areas started springing back to life.

I rejoice for the many farmers and ranchers I know. I rejoice that their heavy burdens are being lifted. I rejoice that with the rain comes hope for better days. What God has done in the past five days should not surprise us. He always comes through. He always shows Himself to be faithful in one way or another.

In these early morning hours that faithfulness is translated into rain. Later that might mean something entirely different. I think back on the all the prayers offered up pleading with God to send rain. Multiple times I have seen hand painted signs put up in pastures asking people to pray for rain. Many have worried and fretted through sleepless nights over the lack of rain. Few of us could have predicted we would see multiple inches of precipitation in only a matter of days.

As you read this I hope you will be reminded that in the same way God will come through for you in your situation. He will provide what you need in His perfect timing. That means we have to wait on Him and trust Him while we wait no matter what our eyes tell us. What we need to do is to remain patient and to never lose hope.

Only a few feet away from where I am writing this Turner is sleeping soundly right through the storm. He sleeps with me most nights in the RV. He has not been concerned with the lack of rain. He trusts perfectly. He does not know the meaning of the word stress or anxiety. He goes about his days carefree and happy trusting Brenda and I will meet his needs and trusting God will always come through. I have thought a great deal about his child-like faith.

If we could only learn to trust as a little child. Just a few weeks ago I drove through a pasture with a rancher friend of mine churning up dust over this parched grass. The topic of conversation was the drought. I smile as I think of my friend about to receive this rain as the storms rumble east. I smile as I think of God coming through once again for Him as He always does. God thank you for the abundance of rain. [I Thess 5:24]

No comments:

Post a Comment