Thursday, March 18, 2010

Believer

While preaching Sunday night, my ten-year old son, Tucker, had a whole different encounter with the Lord sitting on the front pew with paper and pencil in hand. Tucker is a leader. He is a boy passionate about sports, reading, and music. He has been taking piano lessons for three years now. He is pretty special kid. He did not want to be on the front row. This is Spring Break and all the children’s activities were cancelled since everyone was out of town. He dutifully took his place and got pad and a pencil. Before I preached I saw him and thought he would be drawing pictures until the end of the service. God has something else in mind.

While sitting on that front pew he wrote a song and entitled it, “Believer.” I’ll let Tucker speak for himself. “I thought faith was only true in fairy tales. It was not for someone like me. I tried to run that’s the way it seems. When I wanted sunshine I got rain. I got faith because I’m a believer and a believer is in my heart. Cause I got faith oh! Now I can’t believe that my one and only God gave me a faith that Satan can’t break or take from me. God I love you and I wrote this song because you gave me the faith that I have. I know I don’t always do what I am supposed to, but you my Father teach me to try to do my best. You gave me a life that some people won’t believe. Lord, help everyone believe in you, in your name amen. “ – Tucker Edwards age 10

Tucker left that on my desk after church and I found it Monday morning. I have read it several times and think about the depth going on in his little heart and mind to write something that profound. God gave Tucker a faith but it sounds like faith has been somewhat of a struggle for him. At times he thought faith was more like magic. He has even been disappointed at times when he asked God for things but did not get them. Through all of that God has given and strengthened Tucker’s faith. Though Satan wants him to doubt God, the Lord continues to strengthen him day by day. Though he strives to succeed there are times he does not and with God’s help he continues trying to do his best. I love that line that says, “You gave me a life that some people won’t believe.”

Tucker is a blessed young man. God has given him unique talents and abilities. Brenda and I have often chuckled watching him assign games or roles in games he was playing even to his older brothers and their friends. He is a leader. I am not sure what the Lord will do with precious boy of mine but it thrills my heart that he is growing and thinking deeply about things like God, faith, and the struggle to maintain faith even in life’s disappointments. Does Tucker believe that he is blessed and that God helps him? Does Tucker believe that other children or adults look at his life now and what he will become in the future and be amazed by the power of the Lord?

He has always loved music. We have often wondered if the Lord would allow Him to lead worship. When he was younger he wanted a guitar so he could sing for Jesus like Chris Tomlin. Tucker has always been bold and willing to try new things. I have rarely seen him back down from a challenge but he gets in and mixes it up in basketball with his two older brothers not fearing to take his shots or even taking the ball strong to the hole. It is God who has given Tucker that confidence.

Now, are you and I going to let a ten year old boy live with a stronger faith than we have? He is a believer. He walked into breakfast one Sunday morning about five years ago told me he was going to accept Christ that morning. We talked about it and sure enough that morning after I preached and gave the invitation he walked down to the front of First Baptist Church sanctuary in Paradise and we prayed together. He became a believer. Have you? If you have do you still believe in His faithfulness? Thank you Tucker for challenging all of us to be believers.

No comments:

Post a Comment