Monday, September 28, 2009

Life in the Fast Lane

Since moving to Seminole over a month ago our lives have been lived in the fast lane. We have been going forward full speed ahead, meeting new people, attending meetings, casting vision, watching all four boys play football, traveling to the hospitals, preaching and attending funerals, praying, preaching, witnessing, visiting, and trying to preserve time with the Lord in our personal walks as well as time together as a family.

We as a society wear busyness like a badge of honor. The more we are doing the better we feel about ourselves. Last week I traveled over twelve hundred miles in three days but had the chance to let my life and ministry come to a grinding halt for a day and a half. I slept in until 6:30 a.m. (I honestly did try to sleep in while I was away but awoke early and could not go back to sleep) but enjoyed lingering in the presence of the Lord at my favorite prayer cabin. I intentionally slowed down the rpms of my life and sat and read for hours on end. I journaled extensively and reflected on the fast pace of life I am keeping and allowed the Lord to remind me of some things I had forgotten and reveal some new things I really needed to hear.

Nobody is going to slow down the paces of our lives and move us out of the fast lane for us. While living at break neck speeds few ever call time out and admit their souls are withering and burn out is just one more meeting or event away even though much of the busyness is ministry related. We keep trying to give when the reservoir is empty and we have nothing left to give because we have abandoned and neglected our souls. By sheer force of the will we drag ourselves out of bed to face the fast lane once again. Fatigue of the mind and soul dog our steps like the Blue Bonnet Plague.

I admit there are seasons of life that are going to be busier than others but if we never pull onto the shoulder of life and say, “ENOUGH!” for awhile our souls become dry, hard, and brittle. We become of very little use to the Lord and our fellow men at this point. We know that you can red line the engine of an automobile for prolonged times without having serious damage done and eventually total break down. Why do we think the human soul and body are any different.

Ps 23:2 is good medicine for us at this point. “He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters.” We can’t follow His lead. He leads us to green pastures and we are up mowing and manicuring the lawn. He leads us beside the quiet waters and we are off trying to build a bridge to get to the other side. We are not good at things like pondering, reflection, meditation, or pulling off onto the shoulder of life. We push the gas pedal down and say “yes” when we should “no” and push ourselves to the brink of exhaustion and breakdown.

While pulling off the fast lane for a day and a half I learned a great deal about myself. The things that renew me the most I often do the least because I feel guilty and want to work hard to honor the Lord and second want to work to set the example of a good work ethic. I am talking about things like praying, writing, and reading. I almost feel guilty to slow down and rest for a season. I feel peer pressure when I tell my kids they are not going to play another sport so we can enjoy being a family.

Our society defines family togetherness as dinner at a drive thru on our way to another practice or another ball game. We seldom eat meals together at the kitchen table and we spend even less time seated at the feet of the Jesus to adore Him and to hear from Him. All of this came crashing down on me in my times of reading, reflecting, and praying.

Here are my solutions. I will continue to make my time alone with God a high priority. These times will not be rushed and hurried but they will be intentional times of lingering with the Lord and being renewed by His presence and His word. I will fight for these times and make them the highest priority and ambition of my life. My best time of the day is the early mornings and this is the time I want to enjoy with God.

Secondly, I will devote my mornings to study of the scriptures. I was born to preach but often busy myself with everything but preparation for preaching like I should. Too often other needs or distractions put study and preaching on the back burner. This must change as I devote myself to both study and preaching of scripture.

Third, I will build more time into my early mornings for reading and reflection. I love books but too often neglect reading for my growth and renewal in light of lesser things. These two activities help rejuvenate my spirit.

Fourth, I will make time with my family a high priority and strive to eat dinners together around the kitchen table accompanied with meaningful conversation. I will fight for this time and not settle for eating on the run or sitting around the television with trays.

Fifth, I will not feel guilty for stepping away from the office to exercise. This will ensure more energy and health for me allowing me to be work more efficiently for the Lord giving me longevity in ministry for the flock at Seminole.

Sixth, I will make writing a more disciplined part of my life and ministry. I allowed nearly two weeks to pass by without writing anything. That is not good stewardship of the gift and calling the Lord has put on my life to write for Him. I will devote part of my day to writing and working toward completion of books.

It’s a simple start to maintain better balance in my life. It is easy to jot these things down and harder to live. I will often intentionally pull off the fast lane for the sake of my Lord, my soul, my family, and the flock the Lord has entrusted to me. I am asking you to do the same.

Take some time and come to a stop. Sit with the Lord and allow Him to build more balance into your life. Life in the fast lane is crowded with broken and burned out people. Let us strive not to be another casualty. See you on the shoulder from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment