Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Patriot Takes Time to Remember


As I sit down to write this Memorial Day weekend is approaching. For many that will mean nothing more than grilling out, an extended three day weekend, and a day out of school. For those members and former members of our armed services it means much much more. I thought I would take the time to remember those who fought, bled, been maimed, suffered mentally and emotionally, as well as those who gave their lives in defense of this country.
Down deep I am a patriot like so many others. I will be the first to admit that our country is not a perfect one but it is the one I love and the one I call home. I still love hearing the Star Spangled Banner before a ball game. I love seeing the “Stars and Stripes” flown on flag poles. I love good old American stuff made here in our own country. I love freedom and the symbol of that freedom in the bald eagle. I love parades and eating homemade ice cream with family and friends. I love play days at the school, community and drinking a glass of tea or lemonade with an old friend just to catch up. I love cafes where everybody knows your name and I love the freedom to worship God as I see fit and talk about my Savior Jesus Christ. I love blue jeans, the state of Texas (or should I say the “Sovereign country Texas?”) I love the 4th of July and celebrating with fireworks, food cooked on a grill along with family and friends. I love school plays, school teachers, coaches and administrators who work to educate, love, and support our children. I love the freedom to get in my car and drive to another town or state without asking permission. I love hugs from my wife and boys (like I just got from Tanner who walked into my office while I was writing this.)
I love education and access to books of all genres. Above every book in the world I love the Bible and truth of God’s revelation found there. I love the blessing and privilege I had to get to go to college and to receive an education. I love churches of all shapes, styles, and sizes. I love salt of the earth of people who work hard to produce goods and services for the rest of us. I love this country. I am an unashamed patriot!
What you and I enjoy in this country did not come easy. Pilgrims looking for religious freedom founded this nation under the sovereign rule and guidance of God. Yet, there were sacrifices made. Some died in the Colonies trying to make a go of it. Others died in the American Revolution. Some say as many as 50,000 died to gain freedom in this new country during the Revolutionary War. More soldiers died years later to liberate slaves during the Civil war against those who fought to oppose totaling 529,514 causalities in both the Union and the Confederate forces. Brothers were fighting against brothers. More blood was shed and lost during WWI and WWII. A staggering five million men lost their lives among the Allied Forces in World War One! 400,000 more died to fight tyranny in World War Two. Tens of thousands also were killed in Korea, Vietnam, and the Middle East.
I typed in the question on the internet, “How many U.S. soldiers have died in the War on Terror?” The answer came up on my computer screen, “Too many!!” I do not take the liberties and freedoms I have for granted in this country. God has protected us more often than we have known. Men and women have surrendered their lives to fight and defend my freedom. I am a patriot! I love and appreciate those who proudly sail our seas, fight on the front lines, fly over enemy nations all to defend this nation.
I am not ashamed to say that I cried after seeing the World War II movie, Saving Private Ryan. I cried because as I walked out of a theater in Houston, TX behind some older gentleman, we exited into a ground level parking garage where some punk rock skaters were loitering. I cried because I could not envision one of those young teens thanking those older men who fought so they could even have the freedom to paint their hair the colors of the rainbow and hang out in mall parking lots. I wept for a long while as Brenda and I drove the hour and a half back to our home in Hudson, TX. I vowed then that I would not take the service of our military personnel for granted. With freedom there is privilege and responsibility and one of those responsibilities for me is to not only remember but to honor those who fought to ensure that I could enjoy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
I was flying out of Odessa, TX not long after 9-11 and there were armed soldiers all over that little airport. I walked up to one of them near the gate I was about to depart from and just told him I appreciated the job he was doing for our nation. He was just doing his job holding an assault rifle dressed in military fatigues. Being that former President George W. Bush had some connections in West Texas I did not take those soldiers presence for granted.
Recently my family was eating out in Decatur. I noticed an older man who was wearing a military cap signifying that he had fought in World War II. He was all alone eating in a booth. I could not take my eyes off of Him from across the room. As we were leaving I gathered my boys and walked up to the man’s table. I simply told him I appreciated what he did for our country. I had my boys thank him and shake his hand. He was a real hero. He seemed a little stunned. There have been millions of military men and women who have been heroes just like that man. They have been unselfish, willing to sacrifice their families, their futures, and their comforts all to defend this nation. Some walk with a limp, some have physical and emotional scars reminding them of battles, and others barely exist losing not only limbs but their dignity as well all so you and I could enjoy the freedoms in this country. Do we ever say thank you? Do we really honor their sacrifice?
I am not ashamed to be a patriot and I am not too proud or arrogant to say thank you to all those who fought to give me the life I now enjoy. We are still a blessed nation (not a perfect nation but a blessed one.) I would rather live in this country than any country on the face of this earth (unless God willed and called me to serve Him elsewhere.) It is time for patriots to stand up and look a veteran in the eye and say, “Thank you! I will not forget what you did nor take your sacrifice for granted.”

No comments:

Post a Comment