Monday, March 9, 2009

A Slow Walk Down a Long Dirt Road


I just returned late last night from our annual Man Camp men’s retreat up in Duncan, OK. We had well over two dozen guys who laughed, fished, cultivated teamwork, and sought the heart of God. It was a special time.
My absolute favorite part of the weekend happened as I left the other men taking a slow walk down a long dirt road late Friday afternoon. My intention was to pray, mediate, be alone, and listen to God while I walked. It was an hour and a half of blissful solitude, gentle rolling hills and shuffling along the red dirt lanes of our retreat. I walked down across creek bottoms, felt the blustering winds across my cheeks, and looked out over miles of wild and untamed acreage in awe of the beauty and creativity of God as far as the eye could see. [Gen 1:1] I beheld the sun setting over the tree littered knolls in the distance in awe and wonder while basking in the greatness of God. [Ps 8:1-9]
While walking down that road I was able to unload all of my cares. [Ps 55:22] I was able to slow the rhythms of my heart, mind, and soul. [Ps 46:10] It felt great not to be in a hurry, to have no appointments to keep, no cell phones, nor try to rush through a last minute few items in order to get ahead. It was just God and me walking slowly together enjoying each other. Yep! You read it right. I was enjoying God and He was enjoying me. At times I did not say a word and neither did He. I just stood atop hills looking at the large seventy acre lake behind our lodging, taking in the miles and miles of prairies, looking over one hill after another fading of sight into the distance taking in God’s masterpiece in creation like someone gazing at a painting seeking to take in every detail.
I walked until my feet began to ache and my legs wearied of the journey but my soul soared. I did not want to return. As I walked I carried a pen and pad to jot down ideas to write about or thoughts the Lord was speaking to me. If the sun had not begun to set I would have stayed longer. There is something about walking outdoors that brings my soul back to life. I need to make more time to do this.
We don’t walk much anymore. We drive around for minutes in parking lots trying to find a space close to the door so we don’t have to walk. We drive even when we are only going a few blocks. We are always in a rush and our souls are tied in knots because we never slow down. When was the last time you took a leisurely stroll? Decades ago people used to walk (many because they had to) some because they enjoyed getting out and seeing neighbors out in their yards or on their front porches. Those days have long passed us by. If we do walk it is to get exercise and we are huffing and puffing to get it done so we can move on to the next activity in our already overcrowded day.
Time changed last night and after returning from the retreat I was exhausted. I was down and to sleep in less than five minutes after walking in my front door. When I awoke this morning to get ready for church I knew I was running a little late but I chose to walk to church anyway. It is a routine I am enjoying more and more each Sunday morning. It normally is less than a ten minute walk. I am sure it looks strange to many seeing a man dressed in a suit walking down the shoulder of hwy 114 and cutting through the side streets early in the morning. I walked, prayed, and listened and had an unexpected blessing. I had just been praying for different pastors in Paradise when down the street I saw Pastor Mike Langdon. I stopped and visited with him outside the Methodist Church briefly before making my way to First Baptist. To be honest I was a couple of minutes late for the start of the service but my heart was at peace, my focus was on God and today I encountered God during worship powerfully.
In these difficult days I encourage you to take a slow walk down a long dirt (or paved) road. It will do you a world of good if you take that walk with God. Talk to Him and listen to Him. It might cause your heart to burn within in you as you walk with the Lord. [Luke 24:13-35]

No comments:

Post a Comment