Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Transfer of Power


I sat at home yesterday battling a sinus infection. It afforded me the opportunity to watch the Presidential inauguration. I was mesmerized to both the television and the internet throughout the day. I watched as a confident new forty fourth President went to worship and then met with President Bush at the White House before leaving for the Capitol. I watched Bush as he embraced the incoming President and seemed ready to pass the baton of leadership and Presidential authority.
The actual inauguration was inspiring. Some of the most powerful people in all the world gathered to watch the transfer of power from one President to another. Songs were sung majestically, prayers were prayed passionately, oaths were sworn, and the new President stood facing millions crowded to catch a glimpse of history and others tuned in by the millions around the globe and spoke words of hope and vision for a bright future after some hard work.
In only a matter minutes power transferred from one Commander in Chief to the next. I was caught up in this moment and the hopes so many are penning on the next man to sit in the oval office; President Obama.
As I contemplated these events throughout the day I watched as former President Bush hugged the new President and his wife and mounted the steps to board a helicopter. I sat in silence watching him fly away to officially close that chapter of his life to begin a new one back here in Texas. The longer I mediated on this transfer of power the more I was drawn to God and the transfer of power that He has entrusted to His servants.
I will never stand to be inaugurated the President of our great nation or sit with Supreme Court Justices, Former Presidents, Senators, and Congressman. I will never write laws or sign laws. Yet, as a pastor and as a child of God I have access to a greater power that lasts much longer than public policies and impact eternity not just the temporal. God the Father grants me access to His power each time I come before Him to pray.
My weaknesses are transferred for His power to preach, to love and nurture, to offer hope to the sick and ailing, and to introduce people to transformational power of Jesus. His power allows me through prayer to lift the mountain like burdens my people, my sheep, my community, and my nation face daily. Through power my ordinariness is transformed to accomplish the extraordinary as Divinity works through my humanity.
Every day you and I have an invitation to come boldly before the throne of grace to find help and mercy in our time of need. [Heb 4:16] Through our petitions God opens doors, gives requests, and allows us to find that for which we have been seeking. [Matt 7:7-8] This is power that out lasts terms of Presidents and policies and politicians. Our Father holds the whole world in His hands. He was not seen much yesterday during the inauguration but He holds this nation in His hands. He plants kings and presidents and removes them as well. The whole world is held in the palm of His hand. [Is 6:1-2] “Thus says the Lord, ‘Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my foot stool. Where then is a house you could build for Me? And where is a place that I may rest? For My hand made all these things, thus all these things came into being,’ declares the Lord.”
Sovereign God, Omnipotent Lord, Creator of the Universe, Ruler of Heaven and Earth alone is all powerful. Yet, He stoops to hear our petitions and grants us access to the full measure of His abilities to intervene in time and space to work miracles, change circumstances and we get His wonder working power flowing both in and through us.
The Presidential Inauguration was inspiring but President Obama is only a man. He will fail people. He will not please everyone. He will become frustrated that people oppose his leadership from time to time. God is timeless, He is perfect, He never has nor ever will fail, and He does what is just. His purposes cannot be thwarted [Is 43:13].
I will never forget the lessons I learned by the transferring of power. I pray I experience that along with you day in and day out. O Lord, please let your unending power flow through these hearts at this time in this place to accomplish what you have purposed. Praise the Lord His power is transferable and more than able to meet every need we will face and even surpass those needs. [Eph 3:20]

1 comment:

  1. what you said is interesting and makes you think. it's a sobering thought that in time this kingdom will pass away like ashes in a tempest yet God's Kingdom will last forever!

    ReplyDelete