Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Year and New Mercies


[Lamentations 3:22-23] “Because of the Lord’s faithful love we do not perish, for His mercies never end. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.”


The trees have been taken down and the lights and ornaments packed away for another year. 2008 has come and gone and along with it comes a treasure chest of memories; some perhaps good and others perhaps dreadful. As 2008 fades into the pages of the history books 2009 has dawned with the dropping of the ball in Times Square bringing bright hopes, new resolutions, and fresh excitement about the prospects ahead. America looks ahead to the leadership of a new President who will work with a new Congress. Prayers and well wishes have gone out for a happy and prosperous new year.
Just as New Year’s Eve celebrations had to be cleaned up afterward dampening the enthusiasm, with dishes being washed, tinsel and confetti being swept, party favors being discarded, and beverage cans and bottles being recycled, the excitement and enthusiasm of 2009 will fade at some point as Mondays roll around, bill payments come due, laundry has be done, the yard has to be mowed, and deadlines have to be met.
I was thinking about this the other day. At what point during the New Year do we lose all the optimism and energy we have at the start of the year? Does is happen suddenly or is it a slow fade into our monotonous routines and endless to do lists. Resolutions give way to paths of lesser resistance and iron wills become like silly puddy giving in to pressure points. All in all for most of us we can say that 2006 was much like 2007 and 2008 was more of the same. There are exceptions to the rule.
At times we face life altering events during the course of a year. I will never forget the years of 1976 and 1998. In 1976 my little four year old sister drowned. In that same year my much beloved grandfather died after a long battle with leukemia. In 1998 on mother’s day weekend my mother died after a long struggle with heart disease. Those events stick with you leaving a hole in your gut, and while the rest of the world goes on, you may learn to cope with your losses but the hole never goes away.
Conversely you might have had experiences of great joy in years gone by like getting married, the birth of your children, or getting a new job. I will also never forget the 11991 when Brenda and I married or 2005 when our family moved to Paradise. I am baffled by how polarizing our experiences can be all in the same year. I just received an email that my great aunt who was a godly lady succumbed to cancer and died while earlier in the day I talked and prayed with a mother who is scheduled to give birth to a baby boy tomorrow. One family is grieving and the other is rejoicing all in the same year and on the same day.
I am no prognosticator. I do not know what 2009 will hold for all of us. The one thing I do know is that God’s word is true. I was reflecting on the above verses earlier today thinking about the fact that no matter what comes our way this year, God will be faithful, trustworthy, reliable, and His mercies and tender compassions will be new every day.
My great uncle has faithfully preached the word of God as a pastor for more than fifty years with my aunt right by his side. I know that God will be faithful to him and His tender mercies will be new for my uncle tomorrow at the funeral service just as they will be on Wednesday and the following days. God’s faithfulness and loving compassions will be new and fresh tomorrow when that little baby boy comes into this world as with all the days of his life.
God’s mercies will be new every single one of the 52 Monday mornings of the coming year just as they will be on every “Thank God it is Friday.” In this unsure and unsteady world I am rejoicing that I serve a steady, firm, certain, and steadfast God. With that assurance why can’t we maintain hope, joy, optimism, and enthusiasm for the New Year all year long? God will be pouring out fresh mercies day after day far beyond your lifetimes and mine. Let me wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR no matter what blessings you bask in or what trials you have to overcome. May you behold God’s faithfulness and enjoy His mercies and compassions each day and each week of the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment