Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tears of Sorrow and Tears of Joy

These past few days have been interesting. More than one tear has been shed. In less than a week I have shed tears over seeing beloved friends come for a visit and leave. I have hurt with people I have counseled and who are being slammed by life. I visited the hospitals where people are facing life and death. I have hurt with church members who are facing uncertainties in their life.

I have also wept tears of joy as three more students trusted Christ as their Savior last Wednesday night. I have shed tears of joy with my wife as we recently renewed our wedding vows at a marriage retreat. We are closing in on twenty-two years of marriage.

Life is filled with tears of sorrow and tears of joy. At times we think the sorrowful tears will never end but they do in time. God comforts and sustains us in the hard times. Many think the tears of joy do not come often enough or last long enough. They do when God is the source of your joy.

Brothers and sisters as you weep in sorrow and joy I would remind all of us God is Sovereign over both. He does not abandon us in the times of sorrow. He is faithfully ministering, sustaining, and comforting. That may not mean our loved one is healed. He says precious in His sight is the death of His Godly ones. [Ps 116:15] There are times when God wills to take the saints home. The days for the wicked are numbered and then judgment comes. [Heb 9:27] These are days filled with sorrow.

We often do not take time to really experience joy. We can find joy in the little things. I found joy in the testimony of a friend who's wife flipped her car four times and but she came out not only alive but with barely a scratch. I find joy in the caresses of my wife and hugs of my boys. There is joy in having access to God's Word. I find joy in writing this blog and trusting God use it to minister to someone. I find joy in reading and praying earlier today. I found joy in a bagel with grape jelly.

I am convinced that as long as God leaves us here on planet earth life is going to be filled with a mixture of tears of joy and tears of sorrow. That is okay. In the sorrowful lines we lean in to the Lord closer and find He is sufficient. In the joyful times we lean into God and are reminded He is the source of all blessings. Either way He is faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment