Thursday, June 16, 2011

Here I Am to Save the Day

That was a famous line spoken by a superhero in cartoons of yesteryear. The superhero never failed to be Johnny on the spot. Right in the nick of time he would swoop in and save the day. As you grow up you are faced with the sobering reality that superheroes do not exist. Nobody with tights and a cape ever shows up to save the day.

There is good news. Better than any superhero is our Sovereign God. He is all powerful, all knowing, always present to step in save the day. Brenda and I experienced this once again in a dramatic way yesterday.

Brenda’s dad died in a house fire this past Saturday in Carson City, Nevada. He was not burned but being unable to walk he tried to crawl to the bathroom to get away from the flames and the smoke. In the end, it was the smoke that got him. They had to do an autopsy on him delaying funeral arrangements.

We learned on Tuesday night the funeral would be this coming Saturday in Mound House, Nevada. Due to some financial set backs we have found ourselves with no extra money. We have enough to pay all our bills and buy groceries but there is nothing else to spare. All the money we had in savings went to repair the leak we under our foundation back in the winter. Because the leak was determined to be a preexisting leak the insurance did not pay to have it repaired. They paid to restore the flooring but not to repair the leak.

When I began to research how much it would cost us to drive to Nevada the information proved discouraging. To fly on such short notice brought even worse financial news. With my heart torn in how to get Brenda and I to Nevada for that funeral, I did what I have done thousands of times.

I sat down before the Lord and poured out my heart asking Him for a miracle. This is what I prayed in my journal yesterday morning. “Lord, I want to take my wife to her dad’s funeral. I do not have the money to drive or to fly but I know you do. I am asking you to release your provision for this trip. I ask you to give what is needed. I want to do this for my wife. Lord, would you grant us this money. I would love to fly but that would be even more expensive than driving. So I lay this at your feet. I ask you to show yourself mighty on our behalf once again. I ask you to do this for my wife. Please do not let money be an issue to keep us from going. I ask you to move this mountain for her. I leave it at your feet. There is nothing more I can do. I wish at times like this I was a rich man but I am not. I am rich in faith and pray that will be enough. As I have numerous other times in my life I look to you for provision. I cannot come up with it on my own. I look to you for this miracle and trust you to make this work. You are faithful and you are deserving of glory. I ask you to work this out.”

Not long after I finished praying I got a text from a friend who has come to mean the world to Brenda and me. She asked me to give her a call. She informed me she felt led of the Lord to help us to get to Nevada no matter how much it cost. She asked me to get the financial need together and to let her know. When we checked into airline tickets for the two of us they were $2,032.60. Our friend did not hesitate and told us she would wire us the money to book the flights. God worked it all out.

Without any other means for help I did what Jesus commanded in [Matt 7:7-8.] “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds and to him who knocks it will be opened.”

I have to admit very seldom have I seen God answer a prayer that quickly or dramatically. I am not surprised. God in essence swooped into our circumstances and said, “Here I am to save the day!” I am not surprised because that is what He does. Read [Ps 50:15.] ”Call upon Me in the day of trouble I shall rescue you and you will honor Me.” Read His promise in [Deut 31:8] “The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you. He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”

God continually steps in and saves the day. He saves the lost man from sin and the wrath stemming from God’s holiness. God steps and saves the day for the child of God bound up in the throes of sin giving that child deliverance and a way of escape. God steps in to help the burdened, the poor, and the needy. Most importantly, for those reading this today, God steps in to save the day for you too.

I pray our little testimony will encourage you to keep asking, seeking, and knocking. You just never when the Lord will intervene saying, “Here I am to save the day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment